couch

couch

Saturday 20 June 2015

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell

This book was recommended to me by my friend Olivia, who said when she read it, she became completely absorbed in its world. I started it and agreed. Its wonderful. This world is the Japanese island of Dejima in 1799. Dutch exporters are allowed occupy it but can venture no further into Japan without special permission. Jacob is employed as a clerk and it is through his eyes we are seeing his fellow dutchmen, the Japanese merchants and in particular a young Japanese midwife. Highly, highly recommended.

This past week has been so full of sad new for all of us here in Ireland, so it has been nice to escape it for pockets here and there. I'm very lucky that I could do so and my thoughts go out to the parents who will never be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment