couch

couch

Saturday 2 May 2015

Snipp, Snapp and Snurr and The Red Shoes by Maj Lindman

A quick post today, and pretty awful picture too. I'm so sorry, I really don't know why I this lovely book on the floor to take the photograph. Possibly because the kitchen table was covered in half empty cereal bowls and the couch (yet again) needs a clean.

Anyway Snipp, Snapp, Snurr and The Red Shoes is one in a series of books about the adventures of a set of sweet, feisty triplets originally published in Sweden in the 1920s.

In our book, the lads want to buy their mother a pair of red shoes lined with gold for her birthday and need figure out how to earn the money to do so.

The illustrations are vintagey and lovely and the messages wholesome(Think of others! Work hard! Be a team!) This one is wildly old fashioned insofar as the boys all approach men they do not know and offer to work for them.

In the illustrations these men- a chimney sweep, a baker and a painter (sorry, I know I really should have a photo here, but I do not. And if I go off to find the camera and the book, someone will ask me for lunch, or their shoes, or the ipad charger and I'll never get this written.) are hilariously creepy. So much so that the first time I read it to my then three year old I assumed he would be frightened and this book would be delegated to the back of the shelf forever. Not at all. He LOVES it. And there's loads of them and they cost around €6 each. I'm definitely getting more, starting with this to bring on Summer holidays.

For ages three to six. Oh, and theres a girl version too - they're called Flicka, Ricka and Dicka.

No comments:

Post a Comment