couch

couch

Sunday 17 May 2015

enormous SMALLNESS A Story of E.E. Cummings by Matthew Burgess, illustrated by Kris Di Giacomo

 When I first reviewed The Right Word, I loved it. Then I thought, well, it was expensive, it probably wouldn't be one my kids would read a lot, maybe I should have got it in the library?

But I've changed my mind again. enormous SMALLNESS arrived the other day. I love e.e. cummings work and  I wanted to love this book  about him. And I did. I have a collection of his poetry, so we had a look at it first. These poems are great to look at with kids - they can be puzzles and  are always rule breaking and funny. And it also reminded them of The Right Word and I heard how much they liked it. (and remembered about Roget!) So I'm very glad we have a copy of both biographies. This book is, as you can see, quirkily and beautifully illustrated and is sixty four pages long. I like that as I feel I'm getting my moneys worth. Sometimes thirty two just doesn't seem enough!
The telegram e.e.'s father sent him before he went to France during the Second World War.

"AS I SAID IN ADVANCE I ENVY YOUR CHANCE OF BREAKING A LANCE FOR FREEDOM IN FRANCE BY DRIVING AND MENDING AN AMBULANCE

BEST LOVE AND LUCK A SOLDIER EVER HAD, FROM BETSY, MOTHER, JANE, NANA AND DAD."


Also, just by the by, this is not a story of someone who was not accepted or loved at first but found their own way. It is the story of a little boy who was loved and cherished and always, always encouraged to write his poems. To be honest, he was  quite spoilt - in the best way possible. It was nice though, to read about such loving parents. It made me think I must read about quite a few not so loving ones!

P.s. I just realised I said a few posts ago that I was keeping this for a birthday - oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment