couch

couch

Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Adventures of Nanny Piggins by R.A. Spratt, illustrated by Dan Santat

I spotted this when I was buying Sidekicks, which was both illustrated and written by Santat. I had never heard of R.A. Spratt and thought the name sounded pretty pseudonym-ish, but I was wrong. She lives in Bowral, Australia and has written nine Nanny Piggins books. She also has a new series on the way, Friday Barnes, Girl Detective the first of which is due out in July. I'd say its definitely worth a look.
My eleven year old loved The Adventures of Nanny Piggins. Once he saw it was a series, he immediately requested the second one, but I delayed. I know its always nice to have the complete set of anything, but this time he had to actually finish the first book before we thought about getting the second. That was no problem at all and within three days I was clicking on The Book Depository and ordering Nanny Piggins and the Wicked Plan.
As you can see, there are some illustrations, and the text is a nice size. I think this another good one for weaning on from Wimpy Kids. And its funny which in my view is the most important thing at all. Is there a nicer sound than a child chuckling quietly, absorbed in a book?

No comments:

Post a Comment