couch

couch

Thursday 17 April 2014

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths

For the past week I have been asking my eleven year to give me a little review of D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths. He always says, "But its not mine!" and I remember that when I was evening things out under the tree one Christmas Eve, I moved it from his pile to his brothers. Oh dear, I keep forgetting that. Because this book is most definitely for a child who is into myths and monsters, and he is our one of those.

I do know his brother read it, he just didn't reread it, so for those who aren't mythology nuts, it might be a good one to read aloud together. It is both fascinating and beautiful. Here are just a few of the illustrations. I got my expert to interpret them.
Three brothers defeating an Ice Giant whose body parts then became Earth. I think those rocks are his teeth.
The first people, who used to be trees.
 These guys ate a special apple that made them younger. Before is above and after is below.
  
Highly recommended. This is one that will eventually be a family heirloom. For ages seven or eight and up.


No comments:

Post a Comment